Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Escape to Fire Island


Anchors away..

By the last weekend of June, I was stressed. Work had been too busy for me to think straight, I had not left the office before 8pm for a long time. By the time I got home, I was so tired I went straight to sleep. I was tired, I was hungry, I was burning the candle at both ends.

In short, something had to give.

That Saturday, I got up early (against my bodies wishes), got a train, and then another train. And then yet another train. Two and a half hours later, I got a bus. And then a boat.

By 12pm I was on Ocean Beach, Fire Island. Exhausted but happy. I lay down on the warm sand, and felt the cool ocean spray on my face, and the breeze in my hair.

And then I promptly fell into much needed slumber. For four hours.

Awake after four hours sleep on the beach

Fire Island is a long thin barrier island off the southern coast of Long Island. It is 30-odd miles long, but only 0.25 miles across.  It has many villages and hamlets, each with their own atmosphere.  I went to Ocean Beach, which is the self-proclaimed 'heart' of Fire Island. 

Fun in the sun = elaborate beach-ball yoga. WHO KNEW?!

It has lovely shops, restaurants and bars. I ate fresh seafood, and delicious ice cream. 

I literally cannot remember the last time I felt that relaxed, and happy.

Main St, Ocean Beach

It was a much needed break, and I came back to NYC with all my aches in my shoulders, and all my worries, and all my stress melted away.

It had only been one day, but it felt like a week.

I will be back there!

No comments: