Sunday, September 18, 2011

Friends With Benefits

Stacked 

Before anyone gets excited - not thooose kinds of benefits.

I've just come back from a delightful weekend in Brighton. I have a friend who has just moved to a gorgeous flat moments from the seafront (and also, Preston from Big Brother fame, apparently *sounds shit celeb spot klaxon*) and a bunch of us went down to visit. They are all friends that I met as we all did the same New York exchange programme and I love it when we all get together. It usually involves good food, good drink and good chat. Including but not limited to X Factor contestants and Youtube video analysis. Don't judge. You know you do it too.

Halloumi and houmous. Never have two finer 'H's been stuck in a sandwich

We started with lunch straight off the train at a great place, Bill's. It was a wicked weekend brunch spot, popular with the crowds, so a bit of a wait - but very worth it. Set up in a former greengrocers, the decor played off of the industrial functional feel of the building. Food was good honest well-sourced ingredients and I can confirm, they give good hollandaise. What more do you want in a brunch purveyor?

A girl keg! 

Then later, it was some kick-ass food back at the flat in front of X Factor. We cracked out the housewarming gift of a vintage medicinal-esque drinks dispenser with a cocktail recipe invented on the hoof (i.e. we had gin and they only stocked appletizer at the local shop - was pleasantly delicious).

NYC corner. Every home should have one. 

This concoction accompanied the brilliant menu of Pulled Pork Tacos, Avocado and Onion Salad and Crunchy 'Slaw. All Martha inspired and all finger-lickin good. I've gotta have these girls over for dinner soon and I can safely report the bar has been set high.

Feast

This was all devoured in front the X Factor and swiftly segued into feeding our (HEALTHY) appreciation of various divas on YouTube. Celine, Whitney and Mariah. In any order. 

I literally want nothing more of a Saturday. 

9 comments:

Emma said...

This sounds bloody brilliant and would KILL for all that food (and booze) right now. Glad you had fun! x

20thCgirl said...

Sounds like a lot of fun and I remember Preston from back in the day!

Anonymous said...

the burger looks goooood

Eloise said...

haha I used to be obsessed with the ordinary boys and Preston!

xx

Anonymous said...

Stumbled across your blog but i like your style so thought id show the love with a comment. x


www.dannykelly.blogspot.com


.

Lidiya said...

All of this food, looks so so good :)
http://cupcakesandtreacle.blogspot.com/

Rebecca said...

halloumi and hummus = BEST THINGS EVER. aha, sorry if that was a bit over the top (i don't think so, but still). sounds like you had a fab weekend, i love brighton (:

http://itscohen.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Aww Brighton is such a great place - and food friends and xfactor sounds like my perfect night!

Little Lj said...

Emma: Was mad wicked fun!

20thCGirl: Who doesn't?! And also, CBB. So much minor celebrity drama, I can't cope.

Eloise: Haha! I can't say I share this, but I did used to be all about East 17 at about age 9, so you know we've all got issues!

Danny: Cute, thanks!

Lidiya: And it really really was! Thanks for the comment!

Rebecca: No amount of love for halloumi can ever be over the top! All hail the squeeky cheese!

Harriet: Brighton is awesome I agree! I've only been twice, but now my friend's there I have much more reason to visit more frequently!