Monday, July 11, 2011

Dorset Days

Lulworth Cove. Pirate-friendly.

I've been on a trip back to the homeland this week. The homeland being Dorset, where I was not born, but certainly bred.

I go back to Bournemouth quite a lot to see my family, but this week I had an EXTRA reason to make the trip down south.

One of my lovely friends from uni is getting married in a couple of weeks, and held a somewhat unusual hen festivity. Kayaking around Lulworth Cove! I would literally expect nothing less from the former treasurer of Exeter University Canoe Club.

You might think thats a little dinghy. It's not. It's a pirate ship. 

Having never kayaked before I was convinced I would be the first to capsize, but actually nothing of the sort happened and I actually really enjoyed it! As you can see the weather was super gorgeous, and the water really was that blue.

All in all, I highly recommend kayaking - the only downside is the enforced wetsuit situation. The less said about that the better. There's a reason there's no photos of me ACTUALLY kayaking.

Sip, savour & quaff

It was also my beautiful (see above) sister's birthday yesterday - and whilst most of the day did not go as planned (long story involving an ambulance *alarmed and concerned face* and various minor health complaints amongst various family members *bewildered and sad face* and a broken cake *MASSIVELY FUCKING ANGRY FACE*) we did have a brief moment of calm at our latest Bournemouth eaterie obsession - The Larderhouse.

Artisan coffee station - with added plastic bag on table ambience (apols)

The Larderhouse's shtick is fresh local ingredients (check), with seasonal menus (check) and a heavy emphasis on really frigging awesome coffee (check, check, a thousand times check). I mean, what the heezy is not to love!? 

It was really warm yesterday and I was all hot and bothered from all the DRAMZ so didn't have a coffee this time, but they do that lovely pattern thing in the cappuccino foam which I will get a picture of one day!

Mushroom & chorizo tart - FIT

Food-wise the daily-changing menu is normally short but all the choices almost always all sound delicious - so never an issue with finding something good! I went for the mushroom & chorizo tart as I have had a massive craving for chorizo lately. I love charcuterie, so sue me. It was lovely, creamy yet salty and all round lip-smackingly good.

 Ginger beer - beverage of kings

It's a great place for brunch, lunch, dinner or drinks - a local gem that I intend to reward with my trade as much as I can when I go back to visit the rental units. And by 'as much as I can' I OF COURSE mean that I intend to take up residence.

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

would you believe i've never been to the south west? it looks so lovely here, though. i've been meaning to visit my friend in exeter, so hopefully this can change soon!

http://itscohen.blogspot.com/

Emma said...

This is a lovely post, but you could say I'm slightly biased because I'm actually from Bournemouth and I visited Larderhouse recently! ;) It's such a lovely place, and the staff are brilliant! x

Jamie-Lee Burns said...

How fun is kayaking right? Wish I got the chance to go over summer. And right now.. total food envy! x

Unknown said...

Oh goodness, this looks amazing! What a beautiful day, and what ummy looking food!

Jo - Lost in the Haze said...

It is so picturesque! I can't wait to visit all of the UK! Eek!

x
Lost in the Haze