Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Take Me Out to the Ballgame


"Take me out to the ballgame,
Take me out with the crowds;
Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jack,
I don't care if I never get back,


"Let me root, root, root for the home team,
If they don't win it's a shame.
For it's one, two, three strikes you're out
At the old ballgame!"

A-Rod running to second base

I think y'all can guess where I've been this weekend. At the 51st last game at the old Yankee Stadium, before they move to the brand new one, like literally right next door.

As someone who has never been into sport at home, I have found myself really embracing some form of sporting activity throughout my time here. In winter, it was hockey.  "My" team was the New Jersey Devils, and it was so much fun following them through the season on TV, and even more fun going to see them live (which I managed to do twice).

I think in summer, my sport will be baseball. I never understood it before, and had heard reports from my fellow Brits out here that it "went on for ages" and was "pretty boring". But I was lucky enough to go to a Yankees game with my friend Heather. She is a HUGE Yankees fan, and knows everything there is to know about baseball. She explained every pitch, every team huddle, all the scoring, and to the untrained eye, what is "boring" is actually very complex.  There is always something going on behind the scenes. And going to the ballpark was such an amazing experience.

Spot the tourist.

I don't know what it is about sport in America that has got me so hooked where Britain failed. 

I love that they always keep you entertained; even when the pitch needed raking, the 'rakers' have a dance to the YMCA that they do (has to be seen to be believed!!).  Something that would be a mundane, boring maintenance activity has been turned into an event, something to look forward to.  

I love the national anthem at the beginning, and I love that in the 7th inning stretch it is tradition to sing 'God Bless America' followed by 'Take Me Out to the Ballgame'. I have great affection to the unabashed patriotism, the national pride that everyone can identify with. 

I love the wholesome atmosphere, where young and old, male and female can come for a great afternoon or evening out.  Father's passing on family loyalties down to sons and whispering advice about the game, coaching them for their Little League games.

I know a lot of that can be applied in some cases to sport in Britain, but I can't explain it. It's just not the same for me. I stuck out like a sore thumb in that sea of navy and white uniformed Yankees fans, but I've never felt more welcome or more at home in what should be such an alien environment. I would feel more of an imposter in the stands at Highbury, which sounds insane, but it's just the way it is.

God bless bloody America, that's all I can say. Oh, and in case you were wondering, the Yankees lost.  But I'll still be rooting for the underdog!


5 comments:

littledollface said...

Hey LJ,

Hows it all going? Oh baseball I was a huge baseball fan when I was young. You know I saw A League of Their Own (starring Madona) and was hooked!

Girls doing for them selves and all that jazz - if you haven't seen it you really should. Anyway, it all turned ugly and I ended up with concussion from the precious baseball bat that I bought myself . That's right I whacked my self around the head with it in some elaborate swing for a wrongly pitched ball.

It was not pretty.

The game looks like a lot of fun! x

Anonymous said...

And you never came to see me win my Softball Medal in Littledown!

Little Lj said...

Helen: I haven't seen A League of Their Own, but I have wanted to for a long time! I should really get on that... One for the Netflix queue methinks! I heart baseball now, it's pretty damn fun. I think they have a kickball team you can join that play in Central Park on weekends, which I may investigate...

Dad: That is false! I distinctly remember Eleanor and I coming down to watch you in a game. And I couldn't figure out how it was any different from rounders.

Anonymous said...

No that was when we played rounders on the beach - and you were OUT!

Little Lj said...

Dad: 1) I was not out. And 2) That was a different time! Eleanor and I definitely came to watch you play softball at Littledown once. I remember!!