Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Will I Hold It Against Her?

This caption is dedicated to photo credits 

Just so you know, I do more than bake and knit and trapse around London. I also love music and movies and spend a lot of time with both. I think it's high time that side of me got more of an airing around here. So, step forward Britney Spears, as my first subject.

Those who know me, know I love the Spears. Hell, who am I kidding, I have a healthy appetite for most things pop, diva or slightly dramatic. Which means that I have followed the car crash ride that is Britney Jean Spears' career since it started way back in 99 and I too was a fresh faced school girl with pigtails, staring at the clock and tapping my fluffy pen-topper until 3.30 rolled around.

So, this week I have mostly spent my time getting just a little bit excited about the new single which was released to the world the other day. Links have been torn down left, right and centre across the interwebs but I believe good old Perez is still working. Here, have a listen:

Well, it's no 'Toxic', but it's definitely on the right side of 'Born To Make You Happy'

I don't know what I was expecting but I'd heard loads of good stuff doing the rounds about how totally brilliant awesome it was. But, sadly, I walked away feeling underwhelmed if anything. There were bits I would give the definite thumbs up - I love the nods to dance music, and the dubstep break is genius, although I can't help but wonder at the decision of including such a reference to a genre that isn't hugely mainstream outside of the UK yet. Will America take to it? Who knows about those guys. Oh and how could I forget: 'hazaaaayyyy'?! - HELLO! - best bit of the whole song.

But I have to say, if I'm going to try and put my finger on it, the chorus is what lets it down - the melody doesn't ever really take off, and I know Britters has never demonstrated the most expressive of voices, but it is almost monotone in delivery. I think it's definitely the right direction, I am much more of a fan of her uptempo, slightly edgy stuff than the earlier more commercial offerings (think 'In The Zone' onwards, although 'Blackout' is clearly her best work - clearly being in the midst of one hott mess agrees with her, musically-speaking) but it's just missing that somethin' somethin' to push to the next level.

Shame Britney. Shame. 7/10. MUST TRY HARDER.

If anyone needs me, I'll be listening to Britney's Greatest Hits and writhing around with a python to remind myself of better days.

4 comments:

Liz Stanley said...

Haa you're so funny. Thanks for the comments on my blog, you're so sweet!

Little Lj said...

Haha, thanks Liz, I do but try! Thanks for stopping by!

Anonymous said...

Oh no, I hate The Spears :(. How could you?? ;P

nesha,
http://thebuttonowl.co.uk/

Little Lj said...

Hahaha, I have the weirdest taste in music.

Thanks for your comment :o)