Sunday, August 23, 2009

Lemon Drizzle, Bizzle Schizzle

Lemon Drizzle

Right, so my camera is working again. Seems it's like me. It won't get out of bed unless it's shown a bit of attention!

So I'm back. I'm back on a regular basis. And I'm glad, I've missed this weekly-ish process of capturing little gorgeous moments in my life and taking time to reflect on them. They are hard to see sometimes, but they are there.

But first I have a bit of catching up to do on what I've been up to this summer.

In June it was my Mum's birthday, or bizzle schizzle, as I am known to call these things. I was keen to make this a special birthday, as I had missed her 50th last year as I was having the year of my life, in the best city in the world.

Bizzle Schizzle

To celebrate the occasion, and make it one of the best birthdays ever, I invited Mum, and my sister to visit me in London. They stayed for a few days. We hit up Wahaca, with all its yummy Mexican delights and copious glasses of mojitos. We went to see Oliver! in the West End, with the always awesome Rowan Atkinson, totally owning the role of Fagin: we were all on such a high when we left the theatre. And then, for an extra special amazing treat, my sister and I treated Mum to afternoon tea at Claridges. Mum, as an avid lover of both tea and afternoons (she can't get out the house before noon) was in her element.

But of course, all of that paled in comparison to the super amazing Lemon Drizzle Cake that I made her.


I didn't want to make a chocolatey or heavy cake as we were in the midst of a super HOTT heatwave, so I wanted something fairly light and summery. In the end, I followed Jamie Oliver's recipe, and it worked a treat. As well as lemon juice and peel in the cake mixture and in the drizzly sticky yummy icing, the recipe called for a lemon sugar syrup glaze to be made and poured into the cake once it had come out of the oven. I used a cocktail stick to prick holes all over the cake so that the glaze could seep right down deep.

Once cooled and iced, the cake was moist, lemony, sweet and summery. Perfect Lemon Drizzle Bizzle Schizzle for the Moomin Mama. Big love xxx

And in Any Other Business:

1) Am I the latest one to the Alphabeat party or what? I have just discovered This is Alphabeat. What a slice of perfect pop

2) I am all over Around The World. Promise. I am just waiting for some photos to be developed before I can crack on!


7 comments:

Baybay Mama said...

Oh my gosh, that looks heavenly!

Anonymous said...

That looks delish! I'm gonna have to make me one of those!! Cheryl

PinkBow said...

mmm, lemon drizzle cake is one of my favourite's. nice to see your return to the blogging world, i will be sure to check in regularly. (i am a little concerned about the dapper kid though, he has gone very quiet)

Little Lj said...

Dooder City: It was yummmmy!

Cheryl: Try it, it is super easy! The hardest part was finding poppy seeds at the supermarket.

Alanna: Thanks for your comment! Try making it, it's not hard!

Pink Bow: Thank you! I was concerned too, until I saw he's back today!

jules said...

Goodness this looks soo good!

Syed said...

Yum that lemon drizzle cake looks soooo good! Happy belated birthday to your mother :) Welcome back, and hope you're having a wonderful day.

Escapist said...

Oh its all yummy !!! just flickering like twinkling starts....
Happy Bltd Bth'day to yur mum..