Sunday, November 30, 2008

Exporting Thanksgiving to Devon


BFFs (Beautiful Fucking Friends)

Last Thursday it was Thanksgiving. Last year in New York, this was my favourite holiday. And it made me very sad to think that it just doesn't exist in England. I mean, what can be better than a whole day, set aside to do nothing but eat yourself silly and get some serious down time with the people you love. I mean, you don't have to buy presents or decorate really, it's literally pretty much all about the people and the food. Or even really just the food. Let's face it, the reason I loved it was essentially the food. Who am I kidding!

This year, my lovely friend Holly, had planned a trip back to her parents house in Devon and invited me and our friend Laura along. It was then that I realised that this trip just so happened to coincide with ThankyG!! And when you combine that beautiful coincidence with a mother that just loves to bake, what you get, is in fact an amazing four days with amazing food (I'm still dreaming of the sweet potato pie), with amazing people. In the cutest village in the West Country: Salcombe.

I wish to own window boxes such as this

Now, I went to university in Exeter, Devon. So I am well informed, and have researched thoroughly the fun factor of most of the Devon coastal towns. And Salcombe wins hands down.

It's got sun, sand and sea. It's got the cutest boutique shops. It's small and village-like, yet even in the wintertime it's still got life and character.

The steps to Dusters, where we had lunch one day

I love the flowers in the window boxes, and the many, many, yummy places to eat.

Who doesn't love bunting?! 

I love the ferry that goes back and forth across the water to take sunbathing tourists to and from the beaches on the other side of the bay. I love the quaint village vistas that greet your eye every way you turn.

Drooooooolllll

I love the ice cream colours of the houses and shops. And I can literally not get enough of the hot pink institution that is Cranch's Sweet Shop.

But most of all, I love the seascape views of the bay.


Especially when the sun is going down.


This Thanksgiving, I am goddamned thankful that there are places like this in the world. A little slice of lovely.


Oh and for those sweets at Cranch's.

And oh yeah... for that sweet sweet potato pie.

5 comments:

Michael5000 said...

I went to university in Exeter, Devon, too! It was the Thanksgiving that wasn't. "Back home, this is the second biggest holiday of the year," I told people. "What?" they said.

Never visited Salcombe. My loss.

Little Lj said...

Michael5000: Wow! That's really cool, what did you study there? And when was that? It's a shame you didn't make it to Salcombe, it really is the cutest place!

Michael5000 said...

Geography. It was a magical long-ago time called "1993."

There was a coastal town I went to a couple of times, but I think it was across the border into Cornwall. Mevigissy or something like that. Also cute!

Little Lj said...

That's so weird! Mevagissy is like my favourite place in Cornwall. I used to go on a lot of family vacations there when I was little: you're right it is mega cute!

Anonymous said...

Cue the photo of you and Eleanor playing Orm on the bathroom floor?