Monday, March 03, 2008

Mama

"Never really knew it then but I'm not ashamed to say it now,
Everything you ever said or did was right for me
Had a lot of time to think about,
About the way I used to be.
Never had a sense of my responsibility.

Back then I didn't know why
Why you were misunderstood
But now I see through your eyes,
All that you did was love"
 
Happy (British) Mother's Day!!!

Especially to my mum.. who is the best mum ever. We spoke a bit about this a few weeks ago, and she has a selective memory so can't remember a time when we didn't get on haha! But there was a time when our relationship was tough when I was growing up. Maybe that was just from my perspective. There were times of tears, and anger and such and such.  

But now I can say that I wouldn't be half the person I am without my mum. It took a long time to fully appreciate that, and some people aren't so lucky, but I can truly say my mum is the best friend I will ever have. 

She's crazy, she dances like Stevie Wonder in the car, she always knows a person's life story after having barely a conversation with them, she's one of the cleverest people I know, but doesn't believe in herself as much as she should, she takes far too long to do her hair, she has a permanently confused look on her face, she can't read and take part in normal life at the same time.  She gets freaked out by the word 'succulent'. She loves Tom Cruise no matter how much I tell her he's gay, and she would do anything for her family. She smells like what safe is.

There was a time when I thought that the inevitable 'turning into your mother' would be the worst thing that could possibly happen.  The first time someone nagged me for being late, because I was doing my hair, reminded me of all those times I spent shouting at my mum that I'd be late for school because she hadn't perfected the speed-blow-dry. And I thought 'OH GOD, it's happening, I'm becoming my mother..argh!'

But now, it makes me smile.  Because if I'm going to 'turn into' anyone.  I can't think of anyone I'd rather be.

Miss you mum, and love you loads xxx

P.S. Normal non-cheese-core blogging will resume next week. Being away from home makes me overly sentimental these days! Oh and for those that were concerned: I did the presentation again. I rocked it ay! Peace out xx


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok its dan. If you Like the band the dropkick murphys you can go see them on st. Patricks day in Boston.

Anonymous said...

(to the tune of 'i am sailing'...
I am crying, I am crying great big tears into the sea, they are sailing stormy water to be near you in NYC. Can you hear me? can you hear me? through the dark night far away, i am crying, iam trying to be near you in NYC...blub blub' I can do cheesy too! I just read yr blog thank for all lovely comments and by the way I DONT dance like stevie wonder (thats 70s boogie-ing actually) and what confused look??? Love and miss you sweepeaxxxmumxx

Anonymous said...

HAY EL-JAY!111!1!

It's Edward!

Me and mum looked at this together. You are spot on about her, although I'm not so sure about the Stevie Wonder thing...

I'm considering setting up a home blog so you know what's going on in the household of Parker.

Lol.

That's all, really. Bye xxx

Anonymous said...

Hello L-J,

Finally got around to reading the blog (after mucho nagging from my sister who sounds a lot like your mum) Except she is in love with Dennis Waterman (You leave Dennis alone!) not Tom Cruise!!

. . . made me laugh and cry at the same time . . . just hope my kids like me as much one day!!

Zhouqin (C.C.) Burnikel said...

Little lj,

No more crosswords?

Hope you are doing well.