Sunday, May 22, 2011

Anxious

 It's been a looong looong time. Too long.

About a week before I was due to fly out to NYC, the first time I'd been back since I lived there, I started getting really anxious. What if I went back, and it wasn't as good? Or it had changed? My time there was so completely life-changing, and I truly feel that I've never felt like I belonged, that I fitted in, that I was meant.to.be anywhere else but there. It's the most amazing, beautiful city and I love it like I've never thought I could love a place before.

True dat.

On the plane, as the captain announced we were about to start making our descent into Newark, I practically had my nose pressed up against the glass, my heart was thumping in my chest, just waiting for that view. As we broke through the clouds and the plane brought is in to land, I had to swallow the lump in my throat as the relief rushed over me that I was BACK. Back back back back!

Bright lights bigger city

I needn't have worried. Of course there are bits that are new, and slight things that have changed (pedestrianisation of Times Square being one of them - brilliant idea) but from the moment I landed I felt the same as I ever did. I felt right back at home, with a spring in my step and a lift in my heart. I got that magical buzz back that I just can't get anywhere else.

Intersection

It was an amazing trip, I caught up with old friends, visiting some old favourite places and some new places along the way. There is a lot more for me to show here on the blog. But I just wanted to kick off by saying that it seems that although I've been away for three years, I feel like I will always belong there. And that is such a relief.

2 comments:

Julie {love, julie} said...

yeay for trips to see old friends! I am happy it was all as wonderful as your remembered!

Jamie-Lee Burns said...

Glad to hear that you had an amazing time on your trip!! :)